Appetizing golden cakes, fresh juicy strawberries and delicate whipped cream are the three main components of the popular strawberry short cake. But in this recipe, it is prepared in the form of a large festive cake, and the company of strawberries will be rhubarb. Together they blend perfectly and complement each other. Bake the cake, make a quick rhubarb-strawberry filling, whip the cream, and it will take you a few minutes to assemble the cake. The whole delight of this dessert is in deliberate simplicity: put the cream on the cake and add chopped strawberries on top. But the contrasting combination of berries and cream gives the cake an extraordinary charm.
Time: 2 hours 45 minutes
Servings: 10 – 12
Recipes use volumetric containers with a volume of:
1 cup (st.) – 240 ml.
3/4 cup (st.) – 180 ml.
1/2 cup (tbsp.) – 120 ml.
1/3 cup (st.) – 80 ml.
1/4 cup (st.) – 60 ml.
1 tablespoon (tbsp.) – 15 ml.
1 teaspoon (tsp) – 5 ml.
Ingredients for the recipe:
- 220 gr unsalted butter at room temperature + optional to grease the mold
- 2 tbsp. flour for cakes + in addition to sprinkle the form
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp fine salt
- 1 tbsp. Sahara
- 1/4 Art. fat cream
- 3 large eggs
- 0.5 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 0.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 450 gr rhubarb (about 4 stems), cut into pieces of 2.5 cm.
- 0.5 tbsp. sugar + 1 tsp
- 1 pack (450 gr.) Of fresh strawberries, cut and chop finely (about 3 tbsp.)
- 1.5 tbsp. chilled whipped cream
- 1 tsp Sahara
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 175 ° C. Grease with butter and sprinkle flour with a round shape with a diameter of 22 cm., Pour excess flour.
In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. In a large bowl with a mixer, beat the butter at a moderately high speed until lush, about 2 minutes. Add sugar and continue whisking until the mass becomes very lush, for about another 2 minutes. In a small bowl, mix the cream with the eggs. Add half the flour mixture and half the egg mixture to the butter and whisk until smooth. Repeat with the remaining flour and egg mixture. Add lemon zest and vanilla and at medium speed knead the dough, 1-2 minutes.
- Put the dough in the prepared cake pan, evenly distribute the top and bake until the toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean and the cake is elastic when pressed lightly, 40-45 minutes. Cool the cake in the mold for 10 minutes, then put on a wire rack and cool completely.
In a medium-sized pan, mix rhubarb with 0.5 tbsp. sugar and 1/4 tbsp. water. Bring to a boil over medium heat and continue to cook, stirring, until the rhubarb turns into a thick puree, 18-20 minutes. Cool completely, then add half the strawberries. Stir in the remaining 1 tsp. sugar in the remaining berries.
- Whipped cream:
When the cake is ready, in a medium-sized bowl with a mixer, whip the cream with sugar and vanilla until stable peaks.
With a serrated knife, cut the cake cake horizontally in half and lay the bottom half with the cut up on a cake stand or a large plate. Lubricate the cake 1 tbsp. whipped cream, departing from the edges about 1 cm., then lay on top the filling of strawberries and rhubarb. Cover with a second crust cut down and apply the remaining whipped cream on top, distributing them to the very edge. Garnish the cake with the remaining chopped strawberries.
- If you cook the cake in advance, you can fully collect it and put it in the refrigerator for a maximum of 4 hours without decorating with strawberries. Put sliced strawberries on the cake just before serving.