The baked leg of lamb on the bone will become a real decoration of your holiday table. The meat looks impressive, and its taste will not leave anyone indifferent. Before baking in the oven, the leg of the lamb for several hours, and preferably during the night, is pickled in a mixture of dry white wine, Dijon mustard, garlic and thyme and is filled with a luxurious spicy aroma and taste. In addition, after such a marinade, the meat will be very juicy and covered with a wonderful crust. Bake the lamb on the wire rack in the roasting pan so that the heat circulates evenly, and based on the remaining marinade and melted fat in the roasting pan, prepare a delicious lamb sauce.
Time: 4 hours 35 minutes
Servings: 6 – 8
Recipes use volumetric containers with a volume of:
1 cup (st.) – 240 ml.
3/4 cup (st.) – 180 ml.
1/2 cup (tbsp.) – 120 ml.
1/3 cup (st.) – 80 ml.
1/4 cup (st.) – 60 ml.
1 tablespoon (tbsp.) – 15 ml.
1 teaspoon (tsp) – 5 ml.
Ingredients for the recipe:
- 1 leg of lamb on the bone weighing 2.5 – 3.5 kg.
- 3 tbsp. l Dijon mustard, split
- 1 tbsp. dry white wine
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 small bunch of fresh thyme, pick the leaves
- 2 tbsp. l extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. l dry sherry
- Put the lamb on a baking sheet covered with foil. In a bowl, mix 2 tbsp. l Dijon mustard, white wine, garlic, salt, black pepper and thyme leaves. Stir and rub the whole mutton mixture. Cover and refrigerate to marinate for several hours or overnight, occasionally turning the leg of the lamb and again covering it with marinade.
- Preheat the oven to 220 ° C. Remove the lamb from the marinade, salt and pepper on all sides and grease with olive oil. Set aside the remaining marinade for the sauce.
- In the roasting pan, install the wire rack, place the lamb with the fat side up and put it on the middle level of the oven. Lamb on the wire rack will be baked more evenly. At a temperature of 220 ° C, the roast should start to fry rather quickly.
- After 25-30 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 175 ° C. When the oven temperature drops, bake for about 30-40 minutes, and then use an instant thermometer to measure the internal temperature of the thickest part of the roast. Bake it to about 55 ° C.
I usually calculate the baking time of 12-14 minutes per pound of meat (including bone weight). The meat, as soon as it rests, will be a pleasantly light roast.
- Take out the roast and turn it fat side down on a flat surface so that it rests and the juices are redistributed from top to bottom. Cut lamb across the fibers and serve with gravy.
- Do not drain fat from the frypot.
Place the roasting pan on the stove and heat over medium heat. Add deferred marinade, dry sherry and 1 tbsp. l Dijon mustard. Stir and simmer until thick. Pour the sauce into a gravy boat and serve with lamb.