Recipe author – Alton Brown (Alton Brown) – TV presenter, famous chef, culinary writer, actor, cameraman
This dish can compete with any pasta with filling and sauce. The basis of the filling of these vegetarian Chinese dumplings will be tofu, which is mixed with grated carrots, chopped Beijing cabbage, sweet pepper, green onions, ginger and Asian spices, which give the wonton a characteristic taste, and the egg will help to consolidate all this mass. The filling is wrapped in a purchased sliced dough for wontons, and the dumplings are boiled in a double boiler. If you boil in several batches, keep the finished wontons in a warm oven. Serve as a main course or as a snack with dipping sauce.
Time: 1 hour.
Amount: 35 – 40 dumplings
Recipes use volumetric containers with a volume of:
1 cup (st.) – 240 ml.
3/4 cup (st.) – 180 ml.
1/2 cup (tbsp.) – 120 ml.
1/3 cup (st.) – 80 ml.
1/4 cup (st.) – 60 ml.
1 tablespoon (tbsp.) – 15 ml.
1 teaspoon (tsp) – 5 ml.
Ingredients for the recipe:
- 35-40 small sheets of dough for wontons
- 220 gr hard tofu
- 0.5 tbsp. coarsely grated carrots
- 0.5 tbsp. Shredded Peking Cabbage
- 2 tbsp. l finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tbsp. l finely chopped green onions
- 2 tsp chopped ginger root
- 1 tbsp. l chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tbsp. l soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. l hoisin sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Bowl of water + water for a double boiler
- Culinary spray, for a double boiler
- Preheat the oven to 95 ° C.
- Cut the tofu horizontally in half and place between layers of paper towels. Put on a plate, put another plate on top and press it with a load (for example, a jar of canned food weighing 400 g.). Let stand for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, cut the tofu into 0.5 cm cubes and place in a large bowl. Add carrots, cabbage, red pepper, green onions, ginger, cilantro, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, egg, salt and black pepper. Mix lightly to distribute the ingredients.
- To form a wonton, remove one sheet of dough from the packaging, covering the rest with a damp cloth. Lightly grease the edges of the dough with water. Lay out 0.5 tsp. mix tofu to the center of the dough. Give the wonton the desired shape. Place it on a baking sheet and cover with a damp cloth. In the same way, form the rest of the wontons until you have consumed all the filling.
- In a double boiler, bring to a boil 0.5-1 cm. Of water. Lightly sprinkle the surface of the double boiler with a cooking spray to prevent the wontons from sticking. Put so many wontons in the double boiler so that they do not touch each other. Cover and steam for 10-12 minutes. Remove the wontons from the double boiler, transfer to a heat-resistant dish and place in the oven so that they do not cool while cooking the rest.