Recipe author – Aina Garten (Ina Garten) – author of television projects, TV presenter, culinary writer
The name of the pan-fart toast is translated from French as “forgotten bread”, which means that you need to cook them from forgotten, stale bread or rolls. Brioche or challah is cut into slices of equal thickness, which are soaked for several minutes in an egg cream with orange liquor and orange zest, and then fried until the cream inside hardens. The highlight of these toasts is the almond crust. Roll them on one side in thin almond petals (sliced almonds) before frying, which will be nice to crunch and, together with macerated strawberries, will make French toasts more dessert like cakes.
Time: 55 minutes
The recipes use volumetric containers with the volume:
1 cup (st.) – 240 ml.
3/4 cup (st.) – 180 ml.
1/2 cup (tbsp.) – 120 ml.
1/3 cup (st.) – 80 ml.
1/4 cup (st.) – 60 ml.
1 tablespoon (tbsp.) – 15 ml.
1 teaspoon (tsp) – 5 ml.
Ingredients for the recipe:
- 1 tbsp. fresh strawberries, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. l sugar divide
- 3 tbsp. l orange liquor (recommended: Grand Marnier), divide
- 6 large eggs
- 1.5 tbsp. milk or nonfat cream
- 2 tbsp. l honey
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp grated orange peel
- 2 tsp coarse salt
- 1 large brioche or challah
- Unsalted butter
- Vegetable oil
- 0.5 tbsp. (45 gr.) Petals of blanched almonds, toasted
- Powdered sugar
- Combine chopped strawberries in a small bowl, 1 tbsp. l sugar, as well as 1 tbsp. l orange liquor and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 120 ° C.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, honey, 1 tbsp. l sugar, 2 tbsp. l orange liquor, vanilla extract, orange zest and salt. Cut the bread into 2 cm slices. Pour the egg mixture into a large shallow plate and soak a few slices of bread for 4 minutes, turning over once.
- In a very large frying pan over medium heat, heat 1 tbsp. l butter and vegetable oil. Remove each slice of bread from the egg mixture, roll one side in the almond petals and place the almond side down in the pan. While frying the first batch, put more bread in the egg mixture so that it is soaked. Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Put the finished bread on a baking sheet and keep it warm in the oven. Wipe the pan with a dry paper towel, add more butter and vegetable oil, and continue to toast the remaining soaked bread. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve the toasts hot with strawberries.