A recipe for a true Mexican salsa with a rich flavor and a light aroma of haze, which can be served as a dipping sauce and for meat or used in the preparation of other Mexican dishes, such as enchiladas, tacos, and kexadilla. The composition of salsa roch (red salsa) includes several types of dried chili peppers: ancho, anaheim and smoked chipotle. Peppers are fried in a pan with spices, and then whipped in a blender along with vegetables – tomatoes, onions and garlic, grilled in the oven to black charred spots. Filter the sauce is not necessary, serve immediately.
Time: 55 minutes
Recipes use volumetric containers with a volume of:
1 cup (st.) – 240 ml.
3/4 cup (st.) – 180 ml.
1/2 cup (tbsp.) – 120 ml.
1/3 cup (st.) – 80 ml.
1/4 cup (st.) – 60 ml.
1 tablespoon (tbsp.) – 15 ml.
1 teaspoon (tsp) – 5 ml.
Ingredients for the recipe:
- 1 dried chili ancho, peeled seeds and stalk
- 1 dried chilli anaheim, peeled seeds and stalk
- 2 chipotle chili, cleaned from seeds and stalks
- 1 tbsp. l dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1 tbsp. l zira seed
- 1 tbsp. l coriander seed
- 1 tbsp. hot water
- 8 plum-shaped tomatoes, cut into 4 parts
- 1 medium Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 tbsp. l extra virgin olive oil
- 2 sprigs of cilantro
- 1 tbsp. l Sahara
- 1 lime juice
- Tear all the peppers into large pieces and fry them in a large dry frying pan over medium heat until they darken slightly, for about 2 minutes. Add spices and continue to fry for 2-3 minutes, until the flavor goes. Remove from heat and carefully stir in about 1 tbsp. hot water to just cover the chili. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven in grill mode. Put the quarters of tomatoes, chopped onions and whole cloves of garlic on a baking sheet, evenly distributing. Sprinkle generously with olive oil, salt, pepper and add sprigs of cilantro. Fry in the oven in the grill mode, until the vegetables are well cooked, for about 10 minutes (do not be afraid if they turn black in places, we need a saturated color sauce).
- Add the chili mixture to the blender and beat. Remove the vegetables from the oven and carefully add them to the blender (it will be hot). Beat until smooth (you may need to beat in two batches). Once ready, pour the mixture back into the pan and heat over low heat, adding a little water if the salsa is too thick. Add sugar and lime juice, salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a large bowl and serve.
Output: 3 tbsp.