Recipe author – Alton Brown (Alton Brown) – TV presenter, famous chef, culinary writer, actor, cameraman
The whole chicken is cut into 8 pieces and before frying it is pickled in yogurt for 12 hours or up to a day. During this time, mix the pieces at least once so that they are always covered with yogurt, and then you can be sure: your chicken will turn out super-soft and tender inside. The pieces are then rolled in a mixture of spices, including paprika and cayenne pepper, in flour and fried in melted vegetable fat until crisp. Arm yourself with a deep fat thermometer and constantly monitor the temperature of the fat so that the chicken is evenly browned and fried inside.
Time: 40 min plus pickling time
The recipes use volumetric containers with the volume:
1 cup (st.) – 240 ml.
3/4 cup (st.) – 180 ml.
1/2 cup (tbsp.) – 120 ml.
1/3 cup (st.) – 80 ml.
1/4 cup (st.) – 60 ml.
1 tablespoon (tbsp.) – 15 ml.
1 teaspoon (tsp) – 5 ml.
Ingredients for the recipe:
- 1 frying chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 tbsp. nonfat yogurt or kefir
- 2 tbsp. l coarse salt
- 2 tbsp. l hungarian paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- Flour to roll
- Confectionery fat, for frying
- Put the pieces of chicken in a plastic container and fill in the yogurt. Cover and refrigerate for 12-24 hours.
- Melt enough confectionery fat (over low heat) to fill a cast-iron skillet or pan with a thick bottom 30 cm in diameter, only a third. Once the fat has melted, heat it to 160 ° C, not higher.
- Throw the chicken in a colander. Combine salt, paprika, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Rub chicken abundantly with this mixture. Roll chicken in flour and shake off excess.
- Put the chicken skin down in the pan. Put the hips in the center, and the breast and lower legs along the walls of the pan. The oil should rise half the height of the pan. Fry the chicken until golden brown on all sides, about 10-12 minutes on each side. More importantly, the internal temperature of the meat should be 82 ° C. Check your fat temperature every few minutes.
- Place the fried chicken on a wire rack over the baking sheet. Do not lay pieces on paper towels. If you do not serve chicken immediately, cover it with foil freely, but do not put it in a warm oven, especially if it is gas.