The famous Indian tandoori chicken is served as a hearty bowl with rice and juicy cauliflower. It’s not necessary to have a special tandoori oven for cooking: a roast chicken heated by the grill will do a good job with hot chicken. The main thing is to marinate the chicken in yogurt sauce with Indian spices so that its taste is the same as that of traditional tandoori chicken, and with it, marinate cauliflower in the same yogurt before frying. Serve boiled curry-flavored basmati rice in deep bowls, laying on top of chicken, cauliflower and a refreshing cucumber-yogurt sauce.
Time: 1 hour.
Recipes use volumetric containers with a volume of:
1 cup (st.) – 240 ml.
3/4 cup (st.) – 180 ml.
1/2 cup (tbsp.) – 120 ml.
1/3 cup (st.) – 80 ml.
1/4 cup (st.) – 60 ml.
1 tablespoon (tbsp.) – 15 ml.
1 teaspoon (tsp) – 5 ml.
Ingredients for the recipe:
- 2 chicken breasts without skin and bones (total about 350 gr.)
- 4 tbsp. small inflorescences of cauliflower (about 220 gr.)
- 2 tbsp. basmati or other long-grain rice
- 2 tbsp. l chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cucumber, peeled and diced
- Lemon wedges for serving
- 2 tbsp. plain yogurt (not fat free)
- 2 tbsp. l lemon juice
- 3 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp finely grated ginger
- 1.5 tsp finely grated garlic
- 3 tbsp. l unsalted butter
- 1/4 Art. tomato paste
- 4 wide strips of lemon peel
- Place the chicken breasts between two pieces of plastic wrap and beat until they are a little less than 1 cm thick. In a medium-sized bowl, mix 1 tbsp. yogurt, 1 tbsp. l lemon juice, 2 tsp curry powder, 1 tsp grated ginger, 0.5 tsp. grated garlic and 2 tsp. salt. Transfer half the yogurt marinade to another medium-sized bowl.
- Make five diagonal shallow slots on both sides of each chicken breast and place the chicken in one of the bowls. Put the cauliflower inflorescences in another bowl. Stir to coat completely, leave to marinate at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the rice remaining 1 tsp. curry powder, 1 tsp ginger and 1 tsp. garlic and stir until aroma and until rice turns yellow, about 1 minute. Add tomato paste and stir for about 30 seconds. Add 2 and 3/4 tbsp. water, strips of lemon peel and 1 tbsp. l salt. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to a minimum. Stir rice quickly to scrape off pieces that stick to the bottom. Cover and cook until rice is soft and absorb liquid for 20 minutes. Remove from heat, then loosen the rice with a fork and cover again for 5 minutes. Then remove the lemon zest.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix 1 tbsp. l cilantro, cucumbers, the remaining 1 tbsp. yogurt, 1 tbsp. l lemon juice and 1 tsp. salt.
- Preheat the oven in grill mode by installing a wire rack 10 cm from the heating element. Cover two small baking sheets with foil. Place the chicken on one pan and the cauliflower on the other. Fry in grill mode until the chicken is lightly browned and solid, and the cauliflower should charred in places and become tender, 10-12 minutes, turning the chicken over and mixing the cauliflower in the middle of frying. Cut the chicken breasts into slices and lightly add salt.
- Arrange the rice in four plates. Put some chicken, cauliflower, cucumber-yogurt sauce, lemon slices on top and sprinkle with the remaining cilantro.