This delicious and hearty Mediterranean-style summer salad is prepared in minutes, as its base is couscous, which is steamed in just 5 minutes. Top off the couscous with sweet cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, spring onions and lots of herbs like mint and parsley. The salad is seasoned with olive oil and lemon juice and turns out to be very juicy, with a refreshing taste, and pine nuts add a pleasant crunch to it. Serve the salad as a side dish or as a self-sufficient vegetarian dish for long-lasting filling and energizing.
Time: 20 minutes.
Servings: 4 – 6
The recipes use measuring containers with a volume of:
1 glass (st.) – 240 ml.
3/4 cup (st.) – 180 ml.
1/2 cup (st.) – 120 ml.
1/3 cup (st.) – 80 ml.
1/4 cup (st.) – 60 ml.
1 tablespoon (tbsp) – 15 ml
1 teaspoon (tsp) – 5 ml.
Ingredients for the recipe:
- 1.5 tbsp. couscous (280 gr.)
- 3 tbsp. (about 2.5 cups) cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 cucumbers, seeded and diced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tsp coarse salt
- 2 tbsp. water
- 2 wide strips of lemon zest
- 1/4 Art. extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 0.5 tbsp. torn mint leaves, save the stems
- 0.5 tbsp. coarsely chopped parsley, save the stems
- 3 green onion feathers, chopped
- 0.5 tbsp. toasted pine nuts (optional)
Cooking a recipe:
- In a bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumbers, and lemon juice with 2 tsp. salt. Set aside.
- Spoon the couscous into a large bowl. In a saucepan, combine water, lemon zest, 3 tbsp. l. olive oil, remaining salt, cayenne pepper and herbs and bring to a boil over high heat. Pour the liquid over the couscous, stir to break up the lumps. Cover with a lid, plate or plastic wrap and let sit for 5 minutes. Remove the zest and stems from the couscous and loosen it with a fork.
- Add the vegetable mixture, chives, mint, parsley and pine nuts. Drizzle the remaining olive oil over the salad, stir and serve.