If you have a detachable cake pan, with its help you can easily turn a simple Italian pasta in tomato sauce with cheese into a wonderful hearty pie for Sunday lunch with your family. The preparation uses rigatoni paste in the form of tubes, which are perfectly filled with sauce. Macaroni is placed vertically in the form, poured with tomato sauce and sprinkled with a generous portion of grated mozzarella and parmesan. The sauce is prepared from canned tomatoes in its own juice, but if you need to reduce the cooking time, you can use the purchased marinara sauce (4 tbsp.). Wait for the finished cake to cool slightly, and remove the ring from the mold.
Time: 2 hours
Recipes use volumetric containers with a volume of:
1 cup (st.) – 240 ml.
3/4 cup (st.) – 180 ml.
1/2 cup (tbsp.) – 120 ml.
1/3 cup (st.) – 80 ml.
1/4 cup (st.) – 60 ml.
1 tablespoon (tbsp.) – 15 ml.
1 teaspoon (tsp) – 5 ml.
Ingredients for the recipe:
- 450 gr rigatoni pasta
- 6 tbsp. l extra virgin olive oil
- 9 cloves of minced garlic
- 0.5 tsp grated red pepper flakes
- 1 can (800 gr.) Canned whole peeled tomatoes in own juice
- 1 can (425 gr.) Canned whole peeled tomatoes in their own juice
- 1 tbsp. fresh basil leaves
- 450 gr semi-skimmed mozzarella grated
- 2/3 Art. grated parmesan
- Special equipment: detachable mold with a diameter of 22 cm
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat 4 tbsp. l olive oil with garlic. As soon as it starts to sizzle, fry, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is soft and just starts to brown, about 6 minutes. Stir in chili flakes, then add tomatoes and 1.5 tbsp. water.
- Increase the heat to maximum and bring the tomato sauce to a boil, crushing the tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon. Reduce the heat to maintain a soft boil, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce evaporates a little and thickens, about 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, add the basil, salt and pepper to taste. Let the sauce cool for 10 minutes, then beat in a blender until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 190 ° C. Lubricate the demountable mold with a diameter of 22 cm. 1 tbsp. l olive oil, and in a large saucepan, bring to a boil generously salted water.
- Boil the paste to a state slightly stronger than al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain the water, put the pasta in one layer on a baking sheet with sides and mix with the remaining 1 tbsp. l olive oil.
- Place rigatoni vertically in the prepared pan until you completely fill it (you may not need all the pasta). Place the mold on a baking sheet covered with foil. Pour the sauce onto the noodles, spreading it on the back of the spoon (you may not need the whole sauce.) Sprinkle the pasta with mozzarella and parmesan.
- Cover the mold with foil, slightly lifting it so that it does not touch the cheese. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake until the top of the pie is browned, for about another 30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes, then carefully remove the mold ring, cut the pie into slices and serve.