The classic Italian pasta “Penne alla vodka” (penne in vodka sauce) in this recipe turns into a magnificent pie that impressed your guests with its appearance and amazing taste. Instead of feather pasta, rigatoni paste is used, tubes that can stand upright and give the cake the desired shape. Pour them with a sauce of tomatoes, cream and vodka, which helps to combine these hardly compatible ingredients, so that it gets inside the tubes and remains on their surface, sprinkle with grated cheese and bake a pie. For cooking, you will need a detachable mold to gently extract the cake without damaging it.
Time: 2 hours 15 minutes.
Servings: 8 – 10
Recipes use volumetric containers with a volume of:
1 cup (st.) – 240 ml.
3/4 cup (st.) – 180 ml.
1/2 cup (tbsp.) – 120 ml.
1/3 cup (st.) – 80 ml.
1/4 cup (st.) – 60 ml.
1 tablespoon (tbsp.) – 15 ml.
1 teaspoon (tsp) – 5 ml.
Ingredients for the recipe:
- 450 gr rigatoni pasta
- 1/4 Art. + 2 tbsp. l extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 0.5 tsp grated red pepper flakes
- 1 can (800 gr.) Canned whole peeled tomatoes in own juice
- 1 can (425 gr.) Canned whole peeled tomatoes in their own juice
- 1 tbsp. vodka
- 0.5 tbsp. fat cream
- 1 tbsp. fresh basil leaves + optional for serving
- 450 gr semi-skimmed mozzarella grated
- 2/3 Art. grated parmesan
- Special equipment: detachable mold with a diameter of 22 cm
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, heat 1/4 tbsp. olive oil with shallots. As soon as it starts to sizzle, fry, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is soft and just starts to brown, about 6 minutes. Stir in red pepper flakes, then add the tomatoes with juices, vodka and 0.5 tbsp. water.
- Increase the heat to maximum and bring the tomato sauce to a boil, crushing the tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon. Reduce the heat to maintain a soft boil, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce evaporates a little and thickens, about 15 minutes. Add cream, bring to a boil again and cook for 1 minute. Remove the sauce from the heat, add the basil, salt and pepper to taste. Let the sauce cool for 10 minutes, then beat in a blender until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 190 ° C. Lubricate the demountable mold with a diameter of 22 cm. 1 tbsp. l olive oil.
- In a large pot, bring generously salted water to a boil. Boil the paste to a state slightly stronger than al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain the water, put the pasta in one layer on a baking sheet with sides and mix with the remaining 1 tbsp. l olive oil.
- Place rigatoni vertically in the prepared pan until you completely fill it (you may not need all the pasta). Place the mold on a baking sheet covered with foil. Pour the sauce onto the noodles, spreading it on the back of the spoon (you may not need the whole sauce.) Sprinkle the pasta with mozzarella and parmesan.
- Cover the mold with foil, slightly lifting it so that it does not touch the cheese. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake until the top of the pie is browned, for about another 30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes, then carefully remove the mold ring, cut the pie into slices and serve.