This hearty lumberjack breakfast casserole contains everything that many people love to eat in the morning. Here you can find eggs, sausage, fluffy waffles, potatoes, vegetables and a lot of cheese. Such a breakfast satiates and fills with energy for a long time. All the ingredients are laid out in layers with soft waffles on top, filled with an egg mixture, and everything is baked until the casserole hardens. Serve when the casserole has cooled slightly, sprinkle with green onions. If you wish, you can replace the cheddar with another cheese – feel free to add the one in the fridge!
Time: 1 hour. 35 minutes
Servings: 4 – 6
The recipes use measuring containers with a volume of:
1 glass (st.) – 240 ml.
3/4 cup (st.) – 180 ml.
1/2 cup (st.) – 120 ml.
1/3 cup (st.) – 80 ml.
1/4 cup (st.) – 60 ml.
1 tablespoon (tbsp. L.) – 15 ml.
1 teaspoon (tsp) – 5 ml.
Ingredients for the recipe:
- 8 breakfast sausages, cut lengthwise in half
- 1 tsp vegetable oil + extra to lubricate the mold
- 4 things. frozen waffles
- 4 small red potatoes, very thinly sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded, stalked and chopped
- 3 green onion feathers, thinly sliced, white parts separate from green
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped thin
- 1.5 tbsp. grated cheddar (about 170 gr.)
- 1 tbsp. whole milk
- 2 large eggs
Cooking a recipe:
- Preheat oven to 175 ° C and butter a 20 cm square baking dish.
- Bake waffles on a baking sheet until golden crisp, 10-12 minutes. Cut each wafer in half.
- In a small saucepan, combine the potatoes with a large pinch of salt and cover with enough cold water to cover the potatoes 1 inch higher. Bring to a boil. Once the water boils, boil the potatoes until tender, about 2 minutes. Drain the potatoes and transfer to a large bowl.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add bell peppers, white chives and garlic and saute, stirring frequently, until peppers are soft and lightly browned in places, 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl of potatoes, add 1 tsp. salt and a little freshly ground black pepper and stir to distribute evenly. Transfer to a prepared baking dish, press down, spread evenly and sprinkle with half the cheddar.
- In a medium bowl, combine milk, eggs, 1 tsp. salt and some freshly ground black pepper.
- Place the sausage, slices up, on top of the vegetable mixture. Place the toasted waffle halves in two rows on top. Pour the cream over one side of the pan (it won’t cover the waffles). Sprinkle the remaining cheddar on top, cover with foil and bake until the cheddar melts, the cream hardens, the potatoes are tender and the sausage is baked, about 40 minutes. Remove the foil, let the casserole rest for a few minutes, and sprinkle with green onions.