Casserole with tuna and noodles is a classic of American home cooking, a simple and easy to prepare casserole based on egg noodles, canned tuna, mushrooms, some vegetables, and all this in a creamy sauce. A nice bonus is a wonderful crisp of breadcrumbs. Use wide egg noodles in the cooking, which will keep its shape in the casserole. Choose canned tuna in its own juice or in water, and breadcrumbs – Japanese panko, large and airy, ideal for a delicious crust. Casserole can be collected in advance the night before and put in the refrigerator, and bake before serving.
Time: 1 hour.
Servings: 8 – 10
Recipes use volumetric containers with the volume:
1 cup (st.) – 240 ml.
3/4 cup (st.) – 180 ml.
1/2 cup (tbsp.) – 120 ml.
1/3 cup (st.) – 80 ml.
1/4 cup (st.) – 60 ml.
1 tablespoon (tbsp.) – 15 ml.
1 teaspoon (tsp) – 5 ml.
Ingredients for the recipe:
- 340 gr wide egg noodles
- 3 cans of 170 gr. canned white long-finned tuna in its own juice, drain
- 110 gr. salted butter + optional to grease the mold
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 170 gr champignons, finely chopped
- 1/4 Art. premium flour
- 3 tbsp. warmed whole milk
- 0.5 tbsp. dry sherry
- 1/4 Art. finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tbsp. l chopped fresh parsley
- 0.5 tbsp. panko breadcrumbs
- For filing: green salad and bread with crust
- Preheat the oven to 200 ° C.
- Boil water in a saucepan and boil egg noodles in accordance with the recommendation on the packaging until al dente. Drain and set the noodles aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat melt 4 tbsp. l butter. Add the onion and fry until it begins to soften, 3-4 minutes. Add mushrooms and fry, stirring, for a couple more minutes. Sprinkle the mixture evenly with flour and mix so that the flour completely covers the onions and mushrooms. Fry, stirring, for another minute.
- Add milk and sherry and mix until smooth. Cook the sauce until it becomes pleasant and thick, 3-4 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste; mix. Taste it. (or make a sauce of milk and cream cheese).
- Add the tuna and mix it in the sauce. Then add sweet pepper and 1 tbsp. l parsley. Stir in the noodles to make the sauce. Lubricate the baking dish with a size of 22 x32 cm. And transfer the mixture with noodles to the mold.
- Melt the remaining 4 tbsp. l butter in a bowl in the microwave; mix it with breadcrumbs and the remaining 1 tbsp. l parsley.
- Sprinkle the casserole with breadcrumbs and bake until golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Serve hot with green salad and warm bread with crust.
If you cook in advance, collect the casserole in a mold and refrigerate before baking for up to 24 hours. If you put a chilled casserole in the oven, then bake for 10-15 minutes longer.