This casserole contains all the ingredients of a traditional bagel breakfast sandwich: the bagels themselves, cream cheese, pork sausages, eggs and lots of spinach. But if you have to spend time assembling several sandwiches in the morning, then this casserole is collected the night before. By morning, the bagels will be soaked in the egg mixture, and all you have to do is put the casserole in the oven and bake. You can also save time and cook not from raw sausages, but simply crumble ready-made ones, which is especially convenient when there are sausages left after the previous breakfast. The highlight of this casserole is a crispy bagel sprinkle made from a mixture of poppy seeds, sesame seeds and dried onions. Don’t skip this step!
Time: 2 hours
Servings: 8 – 10
The recipes use measuring containers with a volume of:
1 glass (st.) – 240 ml.
3/4 cup (st.) – 180 ml.
1/2 cup (st.) – 120 ml.
1/3 cup (st.) – 80 ml.
1/4 cup (st.) – 60 ml.
1 tablespoon (tbsp. L.) – 15 ml.
1 teaspoon (tsp) – 5 ml.
Ingredients for the recipe:
- 220 gr. raw pork sausages, peel off the casings (8 pcs.) *
- Unsalted butter or cooking spray to grease a baking dish
- 1 tbsp. l. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. whole milk
- 3/4 Art. low-fat cream
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 8 large eggs
- 1 and 1/3 st. tightly packed small spinach
- 2 large plain bagels, cut horizontally in half and cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- 1 and 1/3 st. grated provolone cheese
- 220 gr. cream cheese, cut into 1 cm cubes
- 2 tbsp. l. bagel sprinkle (a mixture of poppy seeds, sesame seeds and dried onions)
Cooking a recipe:
- Place the wire rack on the middle shelf of the oven and preheat the oven to 175 ° C. Lubricate a 22 x 32 cm baking dish with butter or spray with cooking spray.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and grill, breaking the lumps with a wooden spoon, about 5 minutes; place in a bowl with a slotted spoon.
Culinary advice *
You can also take 1 and 1/3 tbsp. crumbled ready-made pork sausages.
- In a large bowl, combine milk, low fat cream, cayenne pepper, eggs, 3/4 teaspoon. salt and 0.5 tsp. black pepper. Stir in sausage, spinach, bagels and 3/4 cup. provolone cheese, then place in a prepared baking dish. Spread the cream cheese over the top and sprinkle with the bagel sprinkle and the remaining Provolone cheese (see Note).
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake until the casserole is fluffy, golden around the edges and hardened in the center, about 45 minutes more. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
This casserole can be baked immediately or harvested the night before, refrigerated, and baked the next morning. Let the chilled casserole stand at room temperature for 15-20 minutes, then place in the oven.