Stropwaffles (niderl. wafers with syrup) is a classic Dutch pastry originally from the city of Gouda, where the famous cheese comes from, but they do not contain cheese, but are two thin wafers glued together like a sandwich with amazing caramel syrup. In the cities of the Netherlands, droppings can be found everywhere: in supermarkets, bakeries, cafes, but the most delicious are sold from street stalls. This recipe is as close as possible to the original, and molasses in the composition of the filling will make the taste more interesting and richer. When preparing the line wafers, you will need a waffle iron for thin waffles and a thermometer for caramel.
Time: 2 hours 25 minutes
Amount: 16 waffles
Recipes use volumetric containers with the volume:
1 cup (st.) – 240 ml.
3/4 cup (st.) – 180 ml.
1/2 cup (tbsp.) – 120 ml.
1/3 cup (st.) – 80 ml.
1/4 cup (st.) – 60 ml.
1 tablespoon (tbsp.) – 15 ml.
1 teaspoon (tsp) – 5 ml.
Ingredients for the recipe:
- 0.5 tbsp. warm milk
- 1 sachet of active dry yeast
- 4 tbsp. premium flour + extra to sprinkle
- 3/4 Art. granulated sugar
- 0.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp fine salt
- 220 gr unsalted butter, cut into pieces 1 cm.
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- Special equipment: electric waffle iron for horns; cutting down for cookies; thermometer for deep fat or caramel
- 1 tbsp. molasses
- 1 tbsp. light brown sugar
- 0.5 tbsp. light corn syrup
- 6 tbsp. l unsalted butter
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 Art. powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
Pour the warm milk into a small bowl and pour the yeast into the milk. Let stand until the mixture begins to foam, about 5 minutes.
- Pour flour, granulated sugar, cinnamon and salt into the food processor bowl and beat to distribute everything evenly. Add the butter and beat in a pulsed mode until the mixture resembles coarse flour. Add eggs and yeast mixture, whisk.
- Put the dough on a surface lightly sprinkled with flour and knead only until the dough has gathered in a beautiful bowl, 5-7 times. Set aside and let the dough rest for 45 minutes.
- Preheat an electric waffle iron for horns. Form from the dough 16 identical balls, approximately 60 gr. each. Flatten 1 ball to make a disk and put it in a waffle iron. Close the waffle iron, but do not press it. Bake until the waffles are golden and crispy, periodically pressing on the lid of the waffle iron, 1-2 minutes.
- While the wafer is still warm, cut a circle with a die cut 11 cm in diameter, and then cut the wafer horizontally in half with a knife. You should get 2 thin waffle halves. When the waffle cools, it will be harder to cut.
Combine molasses, brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and cinnamon in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook to a soft ball (112 ° С-115 ° С), stirring constantly, for 8-10 minutes. Pour the stuffing into a heat-resistant glass measuring cup and let it cool until it thickens, but is still fluid, for about 10 minutes. If the filling becomes too thick, heat it in the microwave at intervals of 30 seconds until the desired consistency is reached. Lay out 2 tbsp. l toppings on the cut half of the waffle and cover with the other half. Allow the waffles to cool completely.
- Cut out the desired figures or just cut the waffles into wedges. Mix powdered sugar with cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle the sprinkles with it.