Fragrant warm strudel with a crispy layered shell and juicy apple filling with spicy notes is an exquisite dessert that will be appropriate for any occasion, whether it’s a family tea party or a small celebration. And it is baked much easier than you could imagine. This recipe uses filo dough sheets, which can be purchased in the semi-finished departments. You just have to cook the apple filling by boiling apples with raisins, pecans and spices, and corn starch will help to thicken the filling to the perfect consistency. Strudel is served in thick slices with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Time: 1 hour.
Recipes use volumetric containers with the volume:
1 cup (st.) – 240 ml.
3/4 cup (st.) – 180 ml.
1/2 cup (tbsp.) – 120 ml.
1/3 cup (st.) – 80 ml.
1/4 cup (st.) – 60 ml.
1 tablespoon (tbsp.) – 15 ml.
1 teaspoon (tsp) – 5 ml.
Ingredients for the recipe:
- 1 and 1/4 Art. apple juice
- 2 tbsp. l corn starch
- 0.7 kg apples, peeled and core, cut into slices 0.5 cm thick (about 5 tbsp.)
- 0.5 tbsp. pitted dark raisins
- 3 tbsp. l granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 Art. chopped pecans
- 4 sheets of filo dough
- 1/3 Art. (5 and 1/3 tablespoons) melted butter
- 3 tbsp. l small breadcrumbs
- Powdered sugar, for sprinkling
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Preheat the oven to 220 ° C. Cover the pan with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, cook the gruel by mixing 1/4 tbsp. apple juice with corn starch. Stir until smooth and set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the apples with the remaining 1 tbsp. apple juice, raisins, sugar and cinnamon until the apples are soft, 8-10 minutes. Stir the corn starch slurry (it may have settled) and add it to the apple filling, stirring constantly until it is smooth and without lumps. Simmer, stirring constantly, for another 1 minute. Remove from heat and cool. Add pecans, cover and refrigerate.
- Put 1 sheet of filo dough on a clean, even, slightly floured surface. Smear with melted butter and sprinkle 1 tbsp. l breadcrumbs. Repeat the same process with two sheets of filo dough, butter and breadcrumbs. Lay out the fourth filo sheet on top. Evenly distribute the apple filling on the surface of the dough, departing 1 cm from the edges on all sides. Roll into a roll, folding the edges from each end under the roll, and grease with melted butter.
- Gently place the strudel on the prepared pan, with the seam down. Bake the strudel until golden brown, 15-18 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for 15 minutes, and then cut into a 5 cm thick slice. Sprinkle with powdered sugar immediately before serving. Serve the strudel as is or with ice cream.