Recipe author – Paula Dean (Paula Deen) – famous chef, TV presenter, restaurant owner, culinary writer
Drunk chicken is an interesting and fairly simple technique for preparing a whole chicken carcass, when an open can of beer is inserted into its cavity and the chicken is grilled vertically. This method contributes to uniform roasting, the chicken inside is saturated with a wonderful aroma of hops and spices and becomes especially juicy. For a larger flavor, place a sprig of fresh rosemary in the beer. And the carcass itself can only be grated with spicy salt and Paula Ding’s signature seasoning from salt, black pepper and garlic powder. The proportions of spices for homemade seasoning are indicated at the end of the recipe. Keep the leftovers in a jar and use in your other dishes.
Time: 1 hour. 10 minutes.
Servings: 4 – 6
Recipes use volumetric containers with a volume of:
1 cup (st.) – 240 ml.
3/4 cup (st.) – 180 ml.
1/2 cup (tbsp.) – 120 ml.
1/3 cup (st.) – 80 ml.
1/4 cup (st.) – 60 ml.
1 tablespoon (tbsp.) – 15 ml.
1 teaspoon (tsp) – 5 ml.
Ingredients for the recipe:
- 1 chicken weighing 1.3 kg.
- Spiced salt
- Homemade seasoning recipe see below
- 1 can of beer (0.33 liters)
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1/4 Art. black pepper
- 1/4 Art. garlic powder
- Preheat the charcoal grill to high heat. When the coals are hot, gently push them to the walls of the grill, leaving a free space in the middle.
- Wash and dry the chicken. Rub the carcass inside and out with spicy salt and homemade seasoning. Open a can of beer and carefully insert a sprig of rosemary into it.
Homemade seasoning: Mix all ingredients and store in airtight containers for up to 6 months.
- Then put the chicken on the beer can. Carefully place the chicken in the center of the grill, breast to one of the coals, trying not to spill beer. Cover the grill and bake until the chicken is cooked, from 45 minutes to 1 hour, turning the chicken as necessary. The chicken will be ready when the transparent juices go on piercing.
- Serve the chicken with your favorite side dishes.