The popular Vietnamese Ban-mi sandwich on long buns is traditionally prepared with meat or fish, but in this vegetarian version they are successfully replaced by grilled shiitake mushroom caps and tofu slices. Before frying, these two ingredients are smeared with a Hoisin sauce marinade, and the taste is extraordinary. Leave the tofu for a while under pressure to remove as much water as possible. Then the slices will become stronger and will not stick to the grill. Complete the sandwich with spicy mayonnaise, tart cucumber and raw carrot salad and fresh cilantro and enjoy.
Time: 35 minutes
Recipes use volumetric containers with the volume:
1 cup (st.) – 240 ml.
3/4 cup (st.) – 180 ml.
1/2 cup (tbsp.) – 120 ml.
1/3 cup (st.) – 80 ml.
1/4 cup (st.) – 60 ml.
1 tablespoon (tbsp.) – 15 ml.
1 teaspoon (tsp) – 5 ml.
Ingredients for the recipe:
- 425 gr. extra hard tofu
- 0.5 tbsp. + 3 tbsp. l distilled white vinegar
- 1 tbsp. l Sahara
- 1 large carrot (approximately 170 gr.) Planed by a peeler
- 1 medium cucumber (approx. 220 g.), Thinly sliced obliquely, cut in half slices
- 0.5 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 0.5 – 1 tsp siracha sauce
- 3 large cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp. l vegetable oil + optional to grease the grill
- 450 gr shiitake mushrooms with large hats, cut off the legs
- 4 soft long buns, cut deep into the side
- 1 tbsp. fresh cilantro leaves
- Preheat the grill to medium heat. Place the tofu between the two plates and weight the top plate with a weight of approximately 2 kg. (3 large cans or a large heavy pan will do) for about 20 minutes to remove excess water.
- Meanwhile, in a medium-sized bowl, mix 0.5 tbsp. vinegar, 0.5 tbsp. water, sugar and 0.5 tsp. salt until sugar and salt dissolve. Add carrots and cucumbers, mix to coat, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise with siraca sauce; set aside.
- Dry the tofu with paper towels and cut into 8 slices 1 cm thick. Grate the garlic on a coarse grater and add the Hoisin sauce, the remaining 3 tbsp. l vinegar and vegetable oil. Add mushroom caps and mix to coat them with marinade. Lightly grease the grill with vegetable oil.
- Shaking off excess marinade, put mushroom caps on the grill. Grill them for about 1 minute, then turn over and fry almost until done, another 30 seconds to 1 minute. Transfer the mushrooms to a dish, salt and pepper.
- Mix tofu with marinade and grill for 2 minutes. Turn over and fry on the other side for another 2 minutes. Transfer tofu to the dish.
- Open the buns and grill them, cut them down until golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Spread 1 tbsp each half of the bun. l mayonnaise mixture. Put 2 slices of tofu on each bun, spread the mushrooms on top, slightly overlapping. Top with a little carrot-cucumber salad, drain the dressing and sprinkle with cilantro leaves. Close the buns with a little pressure. Cut them diagonally in half and serve.