Every generation is given its iconic body part. The 90s gave us Cindy Crawford’s mole. The aughts gave us Janet Jackson’s breast (perfect cupcake fodder). And now the 10s have given us a gift in the form of a pointy, wet protuberance: Miley Cyrus’s tongue.
I first became aware of Miley’s appendage, as most of America did, at the MTV Music Video awards when she appeared onstage with stoned, pink teddy bears (no I’m not talking about Robin Thicke) and she stuck her tongue out in a way that defied the laws of mouth-physics. Was it disturbing? Was it groundbreaking? I’m not sure. But one thing was for certain: that tongue was seared forever into my memory banks.
Which is why, a few weeks later, I’ve decided to turn lemons into lemonade, or–more accurately–tongue memories into tongue cookies. And it just so happens that tongue cookies are a thing. In French, they’re called Langues de Chat: Cat’s Tongue Cookies.
Does Miley look like a cat? Sure, a little. The point is that they’re really easy to make and if you print out a picture of Miley, you can present them like you see in the above picture. That way people know that they’re eating Miley’s Tongue Cookies which, come to think of it, doesn’t make them particularly appetizing. But you’ll get a laugh or two.
I used a recipe from the blog Playing With Flour. It’s super simple. In a mixer, beat together butter and powdered sugar:
Add orange zest:
Then add egg white, some sugar and vanilla extract. Finally, at the end, flour and corn starch (which is a way to mimic cake flour if you don’t have cake flour and I didn’t).
Now you’re supposed to pipe these with a pastry bag using a very narrow piping tip; unfortunately, I didn’t have that so I just cut a teeny corner out of a Freezer bag and that worked great.
Make 2 inch tongue strips on a parchment lined cookie sheet:
Then pop into a 325 oven until they’re flat and brown and tongue-like. Warning: don’t use a foam hand to take them out of the oven!
(A few of these seem penis-like, which isn’t entirely inappropriate.)
Choose the tonguiest one:
And place it on your Miley cut-out:
There you are! A Miley’s Tongue Cookie.
Optional: if, like Cher, you found Miley’s tongue to be “coated,” you can sprinkle your tongue cookies with powdered sugar. Me? I prefer my Miley’s tongue cookies scraped.
These are so tasty, your mouth will start twerking. To quote a Miley song, once you start eating them, you CAN’T STOP. See what I did there? You do? Oh, ok. Next up: Miley’s Pasty Pastries.
Recipe: Miley’s Tongue Cookies
Summary: Langues de Chat for the Miley Cyrus generation.
- 4 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of one orange
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour (if you don’t have cake flour, do what I did and sift 1/2 cup regular and 2 tablespoons corn starch directly into the bowl)
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- To an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or by hand, in a bowl, with a whisk–though the butter will have to be soft for that to work), add the butter and confectioner’s sugar and beat until light and creamy. Add granulated sugar, vanilla extract and orange zest and continue to beat. Add the egg white and beat until incorporated. Finally, sift in the cake flour and incorporate that with a wooden spoon.
- Transfer the mixture to a pastry bag or, more likely, a Freezer bag fitted with a very thin piping tip or–if you’re like me and don’t have one–just cut out a tiny piece of the corner. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and pipe 2-inch strips of batter leaving a little space for them to spread. Pop into the oven for 12 minutes or until the cookies start to turn gold.
- Remove to a cooling rack, turn up your favorite Miley Cyrus CD and have at it. It’s a Party in the U.S.A. FOR YOUR MOUTH.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)