Recipe Author – Gesine Prado is a professional baker and course teacher at Sugar Glider Kitchen Cooking School (Hartford, Windsor County, Vermont, USA)
These French cheese puffs will be the most popular treat at your home party. They are great for spirits, especially wine, and are quickly snapped up. Googers are baked in the form of balls of custard dough, in which grated cheese is added, in this case it is a mixture of cheddar and gruyere. If you are planning snacks for the holiday a few days in advance, then you can facilitate this work and knead the dough in advance. Precipitated balls are perfectly frozen and stored in the freezer. And before serving, bake them, not defrosting, slightly increasing the time in the oven.
Time: 45 minutes
Amount: 24 donuts
Recipes use volumetric containers with a volume of:
1 cup (st.) – 240 ml.
3/4 cup (st.) – 180 ml.
1/2 cup (tbsp.) – 120 ml.
1/3 cup (st.) – 80 ml.
1/4 cup (st.) – 60 ml.
1 tablespoon (tbsp.) – 15 ml.
1 teaspoon (tsp) – 5 ml.
Ingredients for the recipe:
- 0.5 tbsp. milk
- 113 gr. unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp. l Sahara
- 1 tsp salt
- 120 gr. premium flour
- 3 to 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tbsp. grated cheddar
- 0.5 tbsp. grated gruyere
- Preheat the oven to 220 ° C. Cover 2 baking sheets with parchment. Set aside.
- In a pan, mix 0.5 tbsp. water with milk, butter, sugar and salt and heat, stirring, over low heat until sugar, butter and salt melt. Raise the heat to medium and bring to a full boil.
- Remove from heat and immediately add flour. Stir with a wooden spoon until the dough thickens, becomes smooth, without lumps. Return to heat and cook, stirring, until a film forms at the bottom of the pan. Continue stirring carefully so as not to scrape off the film for another 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a food processor. Stir for a minute to let it cool slightly. Without stopping the combine, add one egg to the dough. Pay attention to the consistency and texture of the test. It should be smooth and shiny, so you may only need 3 eggs. Stir in the cheese.
- Using a small ice cream spoon, scoop out the dough and put the slides on pans covered with parchment at a distance of 2 cm from each other. Put in the oven, immediately reduce the heat to 190 ° C and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese layers are browned.
You can also knead the dough in advance, put it on pans covered with parchment and freeze it. Then transfer the balls of dough into a bag on a ziplock and store in a freezer until ready to bake. Increase the baking time by about 5 minutes.